I love doing classroom transformations! They are a great way to keep interest levels up. The students are engaged throughout the day, and they are making memories that last a lifetime. These are the types of things that my students remember from 1st grade. I am WAY TOO BUSY to spend a lot of time on these classroom transformations, and I’m sure that you are as well. That’s why I keep them very simple. I promise you that you can transform your classroom in no time at all.
How to set up your classroom.
It really does not take too many supplies to transform your classroom. I had already purchased some of these items for one of my son’s birthday parties a couple years ago.
- black plastic tablecloths
- construction hats
- caution tape
- construction signs
- construction hanging decorations
- construction cones
The only thing that I purchase each year are the tablecloths and the construction hats. Everything else, I keep and reuse year and year.
When my students come in, I play this YouTube video of construction sounds to add to the effect. I place a Construction Day coloring page on their desk along with a construction hat.
What do we do on Construction Day
We rotate through Construction themed stations for most of the day. I use the items in my Construction Day Classroom Transformation packet.
- Sentence Builder – Students pull out a noun, verb, and adjective, and a sentence using all three words.
- Project Poetry – Students cut out the sentence strips to create a poem.
- Constructing Numbers – Students make creations with Base-10 blocks.
- Awesome Architect – Students build 3-dimensional shapes using toothpicks and marshmallows.
- Detailed Designer – Students design their dream bedroom.
- Sentence Renovation – Students unscramble words to make sentences.
With a little prep and planning, these days are easy to pull off and SO WORTH IT! So many people shy away from classroom transformations because they get overwhelmed. It is amazing what some Dollar Tree tablecloths can do to add to the excitement and engagement for the day.
If you want to try a Construction Day Classroom Transformation in your classroom, check out my packet in my Teachers Pay Teachers Store. The packet includes ideas for transforming your classroom for a Construction Day, station labels, stations, ABC Order, word search, vocabulary, and more. It truly is a fun-filled day of learning. Click on the picture below to head over to my Teachers Pay Teachers store.